Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My dinner for less than $4.00


When I tell some people that I try to make all my dinners for around $5 they think I'm crazy but it can be done. I feed my Husband, 4 yr old Daughter and myself, we don't eat a bunch of garbage I make most meals from scratch and they usually include a meat a starch and a fresh vegetable, we eat a lot of fish and chicken breast, some turkey burger and some steak now and then. It's not $5.00 exactly every time, a little more or a little less depending on what I make but with a little planning it's fairly easy.
Tonight's meal was split pea w/ham and a sourdough baguette, here's the breakdown:
Ham bone w/ham left from Christmas $1.00 (probably less but just a guesstimate)
Bag of split peas .98
Celery .25
Onion .25
Carrots .25
Baguette .89
Total $3.62
As you can see from the pictures below there was quite a bit so my husband has lunch for tomorrow at work and my daughter and I have lunch for tomorrow at home.


I put it all in the crockpot for 8 hours and voila' split pea soup!


I think I annoy my husband when I breakdown the cost of every meal, he really doesn't care but I live for this kind of stuff, I get a rush knowing I saved us money just by doing a little bit of planning and by shopping smart at the grocery store.
Here's more of our $5 Meal Ideas.


2 comments:

  1. We had crockpot Pea Soup yesterday, same ingredients and have left overs- but I mad the Red Lobster biscuits. Yum, and I love cooking on a budget- so much more creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny, I bet lots of people are doing the same thing with their leftover ham.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...